Monday, May 28, 2012

Green- Beverly

City Creek Walk
Hand dyed and printed  cottons, machine pieced and embroidered, machine quilted


I was quite happy with the theme Lisa chose.  I love the color green in all its permutations and variations, and I also knew that I could run with one of the many other meanings the word has.  As it turned out, I just chose to celebrate the color in nature.

I remembered an article in a past issue of Quilting Arts that showed machine embroidery using your own photos printed onto a stabilizer as a backing.  I have lots of photos of trees and leaves, the hard part was picking which one!  I ended up with a tree image that I took on our recent trip to Moab.  I also used leaf photos that I'd taken and then manipulated, printed them all onto stabilizer, and embroidered with King Tut variegated cotton thread.

I used freeform piecing to put all those embroidered images together.  I wanted the quilting to suggest the idea of the walkway, with both natural and urban elements.  Here's some detail photos showing the quilting.




I may end up doing a larger piece along the same lines.  The embroidery from the back was fun and easy, and could be taken in different directions.  So who knows, there may be a second City Walk quilt in my future.

Thank you, Lisa, for choosing a theme that was pure joy for me from start to finish!

10 comments:

  1. Wow, another gorgeous quilt; I love your colors, quilting and composition! I'd love to learn more of your steps.... eg have you added stamping behind your tree? I look forward to seeing a second City Walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gina. The construction on this was really simple- I used hand dyed fabric, did the embroidery from the back, pieced and quilted it. The was no surface design added after the embroidery, I was just lucky to have a piece in my stash that worked beautifully for what I had in mind.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely piece of art work Beverly! Your embroidery skills with the tree really make the tree come alive. On closer inspection, I love the way you have quilted the little rocky path through the piece. Definitely gives the sense of a walk through a tree lined path. I would really like to hear more details of your construction of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your colours, all the yellow and orange with the green! The tree is beautiful and all the stitching and quilting make it so wonderful to look at. Great composition and quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A masterful composition, lovely colors and one of may favorite things - leaves. I also like the juxtaposition of the tree against the geometric background.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is fabulous Beverly! I've not seen this technique, but I do like your results. Your tree and leaves look great, and I love your quilting, definitely gives the effect of a stroll among the trees in the city!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beverley, this was worth waiting for. I think this is my favourite out of the 48 we have done so far! So much to look at, so much colour, so much work! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very nice! lovely arrangement and colors. such nice work. thanks for sharing. have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Beverly, this is gorgeous. I love the color and the stitching is incredible!!! If you happen to remember the issue of QA with the article, I would love to read it, I have never tried working from the back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I had to go back through my issues, I couldn't remember! It is in the October/November 2007 issue- Thread Sketching on Stabilizer by Karen Fricke.

      Delete